Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Going green in Hod Hasharon






Hod Hasharon is not the first city English speakers think of when immigrating to Israel but I wouldn't choose to live anywhere else.

Built on what was once 4 large farms, you can't walk more than a few steps without being reminded of this lush suburb's rural roots. Citrus groves and sprawling strawberry fields abound, vivid green and ruby red lettuces form a carpet of colour against an aquamarine sky, a donkey grazes amongst olive trees just metres from my front door and all the trees that line Hod Hasharon's main streets are currently laden with ripe grapefruit, lemons and zingy kumquat.

More than one third of Hod Hasharon's population is under the age of 18 and so the municipality allocates more a third of the city budget to children's recreational facilities and schooling.

There are no less than 5 enormous parks within 1 km of my house - and constuction of a giant sports field with rollerblading rink, cycle paths and basketball courts is currently underway just a street away from my home - and there is no need to join a gym as the municipality has demarcated special walking routes with state-of-the-art exercise equipment along the way.

This gallery of pictures of my neighbourhood will help but I am always available to give visitors a personal tour!

Stop by and see me sometime soon.

No comments: